Sunday, December 7, 2008

Serving detention.

There is no denying that I am a procrastinator. I put things off as long as I can... including getting ready... So naturally, I am often late... for everything.

Growing up, we only lived one house away from the school. It was a quick and easy walk every morning (and a very ridiculous waste of gas when I got my license). There was absolutely no reason for me to be late for school, but I was quite often.

The other night at work, one of the ladies was talking about her daughter (a kindergartener) having to serve a detention (apparently she got in trouble for talking). It reminded me of my first detention.

I was never a trouble maker in school. I did serve several detentions, but they were all for being late.

I believe I was in 3rd grade when I was assigned to serve my first detention for tardies. Knowing I was late for school, i went straight to the office. The principal told me that I had too many tardies on my record and I would have to serve a detention for it.

I think I almost cried. I was a good kid. I imagined sitting in the front of the detention room with all the miscreants in the school throwing spit wads at me and threatening to take my lunch money.

And then it got worse. The principal told me I would be serving a noon detention.

A noon detention was typical for younger kids, and it involved standing in a corner in the all-purpose room during lunch recess. Not really a big deal.

But I didn't hear "noon detention." No... I couldn't hear the principal clearly over my sniffling as I wiped away my tears. What I heard him say was "You need to serve a nude detention."

I didn't even want to know what that was. I wasn't going to find out.

Needless to say, I never showed up to serve that detention.... and I was in High School before I earned enough tardies again to be assigned another detention.

Despite my efforts, I was unable to score a nude detention with the 24 year old science teacher that started my senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment