Wednesday, November 4, 2009

What's for dinner?

One of the most pondered questions in this household has got to be "What's for dinner?"

We keep an updated list of the meals we have the "fixin's" for on the fridge every week, so it's not that there's nothing in the house to cook, it's more a matter of "What do I feel like cooking for dinner?"

It has been an especially tough question lately, with Steve and I both having toothaches, and me being big, fat and pregnant, feeling less and less like cooking every day.
Steve fired up the grill tonight and fixed pork chops, baked potatoes and mac & cheese.

Kade actually laid himself down for a rare nap and slept through supper, and was in quite a mood when he woke up. I reheated him a plate and attempted to get him to eat. He doesn't usually do porkchops very well, but I wanted to get some protein in him.
"Do you want a peanut butter sandwich?" I asked him, getting the bread out of the cabinet. He doesn't usually turn down a peanut butter sandwich, but as I said, he was just in one of those moods when he woke up.
"No, just bread!" He answered. I caved. He ate a good lunch, anyways.

After a few bites of mac and cheese and a bite of his bread, my little chef got a brilliant idea.

"I want macaroni and cheese on my bread!" He told me. He has seen me put spaghetti on garlic bread before, I figured that's where he got the idea.... but eww. That doesn't sound good at all.
"You want macaroni on your bread?" I asked him, unsure about it.

"Yeah! I want a macaroni and cheese sandwich!" He replied confidently.

Reluctantly, I spooned his macaroni onto his bread and folded it in half... And he ate it. A macaroni and cheese sandwich.

Though I love my son to pieces, and applaud his creative thinking, I don't think we'll be serving Macaroni and Cheese Sandwiches in "Cafe World" any time in the near future.

1 comment: