Thursday, October 9, 2008

Peanut Butter Kisses

To most people, "peanut butter kisses" are those peanut butter flavored taffy-like candies that come in orange or black wrappers that you see in stores around Halloween time. But anyone with a toddler in their life will tell you that those chewy candies are nothing compared to the peanut butter kisses this blog is named for.

It never fails that my two year old seems to have his most affectionate moments when he's covered with food. I've had chocolate tickle-fests, spaghetti-o grins, and apple juice hugs... but my favorites are peanut butter kisses.

I can see (and smell) them coming from across the house. Sitting in my computer chair, I hear little feet dancing across the kitchen floor. I smell the peanut butter (good, he's actually eating the snack I gave him) and here it comes...

"MOMMY!"

He crashes into me with crummy fingers and his mouth nearly super glued shut with peanut butter. He climbs up into my lap and puckers his little lips.

"No, don't kiss me!" I tease him, jerking my head back.
He laughs, and makes another attempt.
"No!" Again, I dodge the messy face coming towards me.
"Mommy!" He grabs my face this time, and there is no escape.

"Muah!"

He plants an over dramatized peanut butter kiss right on my lips.
"Oh, thank you!" I tell him, laughing as I wipe the peanut butter and cracker crumbs off my face. He lay his head on my chest for a brief moment and I hugged him tight.
"I love you buddy," I reminded him.
"Love you" he said, as best as he could with peanut butter still on the roof of his mouth.

Before he was born, I used to cringe at the thought of messy faces and sticky fingers.. But now, I can't imagine my life without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment