Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I guess I'm a commitment-phobe.

I have a really bad habit of not keeping hobbies.

I like to think of myself as a fairly creative person - the main hobbies I tend to cycle through are writing, playing guitar, and scrapbooking (or another craft). Right now, obviously, I've been on a writing kick (which is a good thing).

But how long will it last? How long will I keep my blog up before I cycle off to another hobby? I have been eyeballing the acoustic sitting alone in the corner of the bedroom. I can remember a time when I picked that thing up every time I had a free minute to myself.

I have hundreds of dollars (at least) worth of scrapbooking paper, tools and other supplies just sitting collecting dust. And I've got an unfinished baby blanket that I started to crochet just a few weeks ago, that will probably never be finished before the baby gets here. A few years ago, I was going to start sewing. I actually made (and finished) a dress that I wore while I was pregnant with Kade. I spent money on material and thread. I have a nice sewing machine that sits in the box... I haven't done anything with it since I got it.

It's not just creative hobbies that I can't keep. I can't even make a full commitment to a silly facebook application. I play a game for a few weeks, then get tired of it and move on to another game.

Yeah, this "hobby cycling" is a pretty expensive habit... But I guess there are worse things I could be cycling through... and I know I'm not the only one with this issue...

Dad I am calling you out to share some of your "hobby cycling" in hopes of getting some more interaction going on here! Don't let me down!

3 comments:

  1. Is that hobby cycling or my cycling hobby? I guess the OLDEST hobby I can remember was drawing, which eventually turned into painting... When I learned to read, the school library was my favorite place! Now, it's the bathroom, but I still take a book... I wish I had a fraction of the money that I (or my parents) spent on plastic scale models... Let's see... Listening to music goes WAY back! Like Daughter, Like Dad... I take spells picking up the guitar for a while... Photography is kinda off and on too... Yeah, I got burned out on Farmtown... I'm hooked on Freecell again... Until I delete it completely! I have actually completed a few cross-stitch projects... I keep thinking I'll pick up the paintbrush again, but it hasn't happened yet... I'm not sure that cleaning the car counts as a hobby... I do collect a few coins here and there... The list pretty much just goes on and on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you'd mention the money you spent collecting every color of embroidery floss and acrylic paint that walmart had to offer and not using them... lol

    You said you wish you had a fraction of the money your parents spent on those scale models... how about a fraction of the money you spent on Star Wars figures? Or for that matter, a fraction of the time you spent hunting them down! lol

    You've stuck with the cycling hobby =) Which is a good thing, because you've got a lot of money wrapped up into that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all do this. I have a closet full of cross-stitch fabric, floss, tubs of charts....
    I have a lot of scrapbook supplies and albums not finished (I did finish one though!). I have yarn, 3 sewing machines, a serger, books,drawing supplies...a quitar I got about 35 years ago and never learned how to play!! ack! I should not have read this post!!
    You are not alone!
    Marion

    ReplyDelete